11.11.2010

Catfish

The film documentary “Catfish,” directed by Henry Joost and Ariel Schulam, follows a friendship that Schulman’s photographer brother Yaniv (whom they call Nev) has with Abby Faccio. Abby Faccio is a young painter; she’s about eight years old. They live in different states, and their friendship started when she sent him a painting of a photograph Nev took. So they continued exchanging photos and paintings, and they became friends on “Facebook.” Nev is also friends with Abby’s family and starts flirting with her older sister Megan. Nev, his brother, and Henry all plan to visit Abby and her family, but they start discovering all these lies that Megan’s told Nev. So they begin their quest to discover if Megan and her family are real people.
Now, the good thing about this documentary, was that it was entertaining. The type of character that Nev is is portrayed really well. He kept my attention throughout the entire film; I didn’t really get bored watching him on the screen. He makes the audience be on his side throughout. When Nev, Ariel, and Henry find out that Megan’s been lying, you don’t really know what to expect. Believe it or not, I was actually scared for Nev. Who knew if it was some crazy, deranged person that was after him! Nev just made me care about him while watching the film.
My only problem with this documentary is that, what’s the point? I had so many mixed signals on what the theme for the film is. When you find out the truth about Abby and her family, it wasn’t as surprising as I thought; I expected something much worse. After knowing the truth, I didn’t exactly know what to feel towards the Faccio’s. should I feel sorry for them? Even though what was done to Nev was completely wrong. I just didn’t know. They’re shown as the so-called “bad guys,” yet the film tries to make you feel sorry for them. Also, when you find out why the film is called “Catfish,” I wasn’t sure what the filmmakers wanted me to think of it. I understand it, but I don’t exactly agree with it. The ending of the film was a bit confusing, and I’m still not sure what the theme or the hidden message is. The one theme that stood out to me more than the others is: be careful who you let into your life.
Although the film is entertaining with its characters, it still falls a little flat at the end. The documentary does have its own certain appeal to audiences, with its story that is very relatable nowadays, but when you finish watching it, you might question the reason for it. I think the film could have done a bit better; I recommend “Catfish” for people who have enough spare time to be entertained and be left with a “huh.”

1 comment:

  1. I think that the massage was clear enough as saying, we don't really know some people as well as we think. Nev had feelings for "Meg" but Meg wasn't even real.

    ReplyDelete